Say no to plastic
Our theme for 2018 was 'Say no to plastic', which encouraged holidaymakers to find alternatives to plastic including bringing a reusable bag on holiday, avoiding plastic straws and taking the Make Holidays Greener 'say no to plastic' pledge.
Highlights from 2018 include:
- Over 70 travel businesses including ABTA Members and Travelife Gold Certified hotels participated in the campaign
- Over 1,200 pledges made by holidaymakers
- Clean-up operations were also organised with travel companies’ staff and customers to help keep local beaches, parks or neighbourhoods clean, with just under 2,300 people participating in 95 clean-up operations worldwide this year
- More than 1,200 sustainable holiday pledges were made by holidaymakers, of which a third were to ‘Say no to plastic’
- During the campaign, travel businesses shared the steps they have taken to reduce the amount of plastic they use, amounting to 43 tonnes. Another six tonnes of plastic was removed through clean-up operations.