Tourist boards and destination authorities
Tourist boards and destination authorities are actively encouraged to participate in the campaign.
Our theme for 2018 was ‘say no to plastic’ and encouraged holidaymakers to find alternatives to plastic - such as bringing a reusable bag on their next holiday, avoiding plastic straws with drinks or by directly taking the Make Holidays Greener ‘say no to plastic’ pledge.
Here were three simple ways destinations participated in the 2018 campaign:
- Shared how they were already reducing plastic, or pledge future action to reduce plastic. Shared their activities on social media using #MHG18
- Organises greener holiday action in destination such as organising a clean-up operation with staff and customers to help keep local beaches, parks or neighbourhoods clean
- Encouraged their visitors to make a pledge
How to get started
The theme for 2019 will be released in April where we will provide a campaign support pack full of ideas and suggestions. To register your interest, please contact MHG@abta.co.uk
Benefits of participating in the campaign:
• Engage your visitors: This campaign is a positive way to involve visitors in inspiring activities and help them give back to your destination
• Promote your destination: This is an excellent opportunity to profile your destination and share your sustainability achievements through social media as well as local and national press.